Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Valentine's Day at the Zoo and Hope Cards



Good Morning Friends! Yes, it has been a week since I last chatted with you. I have been busy, of course, working on my studies (first exam tomorrow), working on taxes, taking care of Clark's issues, always (big care plan meeting on Friday) and working on cleaning up my desk. Which means the parts and pieces of stamped cards that I never finished.

Oh, you know you borrowed a set and stamped off a bunch of images but, just ran out of time or lost interest in that project. Well, that is me (raising my hand) on both accounts. I have so many projects that I want to do or have in the works that I forget that I have other responsibilities that have greater priority.

Like on Valentine's Day, Wayne and I really had nothing planned except to spend the day with each other. Well, then you really can't spend time working on your crafts can you. It was a fun day spent a good portion in the frosty cold watching some of the penguins get to waddle out of their cages for a bit. This was the first time we had seen this. So, it was fun! The rest of the zoo animals were pretty much non-existent except for the ones in the heated houses. We are zoo members and love going and walking around one of the last free zoos in the country.

Then we went to Whole Foods for some dinner fixins. Made a couple of nice grilled steaks with baked potatoes, huge tossed salad and ice cream for dessert. We were stuffed....kind of looked like those penguins! LOL! I was such a pleasant day to just relax and not think about the other things in our lives for just a bit.

Wayne and I have been very fortunate that we have not had anyone in our family or known any friends that have had breast cancer. Known folks, including Dad, with other cancers. But, which ever form it is a terrible disease to have to suffer under. My thought is that you have to give up your will to God but, still fight the disease. I had Ovarian Cancer so long ago I can't even tell you how I felt at the time.

I was just 18 when I found out. I was stunned and really did not know what it all meant at the time. That was in 1976. And at that time the treatments were okay but, not like today. So, I agreed to have a total hysterectomy to save my life. It was tough for quite a few years dealing with that removal.....the loss of hormones and the never being able to have children. I think it weighed heavy on Dad for a long time (he told me this later).

Today, I am healthy and have an adopted son. I am grateful for each and everyday I wake in the morning and put my two feet on the ground. I know that there is hope of a brighter tomorrow for all of us......whether we face that disease or another one.

Thanks for looking at my cards (these will go into my stash and some will get donated) and listening to my story. I appreciate your loyality to my blog even with my absences. I hope you have a great day!
Cindy
  • Stamps - SU Hope Is
  • Paper - SU Whisper White, Pretty in Pink CS, Basic Grey DP and SU DSP (retired), Creative Cafe Notecards
  • Ink - SU Basic Gray, Pretty in Pink
  • Accessories - SU Pretty in Pink Taffeta Ribbon, MS Lacy Scallop Punch, Buttons

3 comments:

  1. Your cards are lovely...and Oh My Goodness, so glad all worked out for you...You were so young to get such Over whelming news...You have done such wonderful things with your life...You are an inspiration...Hugs, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Valentine cards!! So sweet and with clean lines... PERFECTION!!! :) Good times at the zoo... and spending time with the ones you love. It can't get any better than that... SMILES! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy, what an amazing story. My mom had cancer that started in her breast and moved to her lungs, which ended up taking her life 4 years ago this month. These cards are simply beautiful. You did a great job on them. Wow, looks like you had a fun time at the zoo. That would be so neat to get that close to the penguins. Hope you are having a good week. TFS:)

    ReplyDelete